Friday, May 25, 2007

rsync copy

It is pretty interesting when I want to know the progress of my file copy process and I can't really see it with cp command. Hence I prefer to use rsync for this purpose while most people usually use rsync for file backup.

shell>rsync --progress -v ./dirty.pcap i-Pcaps/

dirty.pcap
520535973 100% 7.79MB/s 0:01:03 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

sent 520599601 bytes received 42 bytes 8071312.29 bytes/sec
total size is 520535973 speedup is 1.00

Not only you can see the progress but also the average time and its rate. Don't you think it is lovely?

Enjoy ;]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! That is true, for large file copy, that is really a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Cool...I learn something new today, :)

Simon said...

That's cool, but it doesn't do what I want it to do if I copy a whole directory full of files - I only get progress for each individual file, not the whole bunch. Any idea how I could get that?

I used to have a patched version of "cp" that could do that, but I can't remember where I got it...