Friday, July 20, 2007

Smart NTFS-3G

Again I need to use my large disk and I try to mount it once I have connected it, but this time it has minor issue -

shell>sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 ~/i-Mnt

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 1)
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.

Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /home/geek00l/i-Mnt -o force

Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sdb1 /home/geek00l/i-Mnt ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0

Smart enough, remind me that I have just passed the disk to my friend and he has actually disconnected the disk uncleanly. Therefore I just need to follow the hint given -

shell>sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 ~/i-Mnt -o force
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 1)
WARNING: Forced mount, reset $LogFile.
shell>cd ~/i-Mnt shell>ls -la
total 20
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Jun 11 15:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 86 geek00l geek00l 12288 Jun 11 16:07 ..
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Jun 11 15:40 System Volume Information

It's all working now!

Enjoy ;]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've seen your blog and i think its the best about openBSD i've seen.
About this post i have a question i downloaded the tgz, because it didn't came from the base installation from http://www.ntfs-3g.org/
but when i run pkg_add it prints this
"Not an ustar archive header at /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/Ustar.pm line 115".
What am i doing wrong?
Thank you and keep up the good work

C.S.Lee said...

Hi Sergio,

I haven't tried ntfs-3g on openbsd before, and I don't see that ntfs-3g supports OpenBSD but I may try out when I have time.

Sorry about that, I'm in very busy state.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Sergio, r u think all tgz r valid OpenBSD packages? :))