Monday, December 19, 2005

Virtual Machine Alternative

I have been using vmware since two years back, and getting used to it on either windows or linux platform especially the workstation edition. However for long I'm looking for the alternative which is oss base, I have been told by transporter(folk in freenode #snort-gui) that qemu is good, but I never give it a try until Kaeru(folk in freenode #myoss) told me that it is easy and fast enough when loaded with the accelerator. Thought that might be a good replacement for vmware if the perfomance good enough since Open Source virtual machine tend to be slower.

I have tried out qemu with accelerator loaded on freeBSD, with virtualization instead of emulation, I can see a perfomance boost and found a benchmarking site noted it's perfomance close to native, thanks to the Kaeru's qemu guide.

I'm still testing on it's networking features and perfomance of qemu, if everything goes fine, I bet I will no longer using vmware.

If I'm not forgotten, Richard [at] taosecurity.blogspot.com has mentionned that he prefers to create a vmware image for it's NSM build with vmplayer released, i think Qemu is good enough for that environment since it has almost the same functions and usabilities.

I have installed centos 4.2 on qemu, and preparing to setup instantNSM on it. If everything goes fine, I will offer the virtual machine image for downloading so that anyone can try out and have fun with NSM.

Qemu - We love OSS!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, i told my fren to try out, seems he wanna start his project on linux, i intro him qemu and ubuntu.

qemu only support image file instead of cd, i intro "dd for windows", he said very fast can copy out the image from the cd.

He install on xp, with kqemu, it works much better.

Anonymous said...

good job!

Anonymous said...

Tiu Lei Ler!

Anonymous said...

Argh... OSS philoshopher

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can't imagine that they dare to come to trash your blog...

By the way, Im waiting for your image, I'm tired to use those C things already. You know, I know. Time to slowly, throw Windows away. Slowly k...just don't flame me, put me on table is alright too, I have used to it --> ignore...

How if I have problem to recognize all the words that use for verification? It just makes me lazy to add comment, but nevermind, you don't care ;p