Sunday, October 05, 2008

FreeBSD: Pktanon Installation

What is pktanon?
PktAnon performs network trace anonymization. It is highly configurable and uses anonymization profiles.

My friend Richard has actually blogged about it especially for Debian platform.

One of the pktanon main developer - Christoph has emailed me that they have fixed pktanon and make it work on FreeBSD, and I'd like to try it out, I won't make a port for FreeBSD as I'm told that Wesley is working on pktanon port.

But if you are interested, that's how you can get it to work on FreeBSD.

Get the dependencies, install these two FreeBSD ports -
1. boost
2. xerces-c2

We can now perform pktanon installation -

shell>wget \
http://www.tm.uka.de/software/pktanon/download/pktanon-1.2.1-dev.tar.gz

shell>tar xvzf pktanon-1.2.1-dev.tar.gz

shell>cd pktanon-1.2.1-dev

shell>export CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

shell>export CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

shell>export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib

shell>./configure

shell>make

shell>sudo make install

You can now start working with pktanon, I won't show those as you can check out the information from pktanon website. We will include pktanon in HeX(definitely not HeX 2.0 but maybe 2.0.1 as we already froze the port tree while pktanon port is still not in yet). It's worth to add it as people who would like to contribute to Openpacket need to anonymize their packet trace.

Cheers (;])

No comments: