Friday, January 19, 2007

Helix: Mounting ufs2

I have one of my machine lying around and it was installed with FreeBSD previously. I need to copy everything out from the hard drive. I decide to use helix again as it is pretty easy and the data can be transfered over the network without much configurations.

Once I login, I launched the terminal and tried to mount the ufs file system. The hard drive is connected with external ide usb connector. Therefore the drive appeared to be sd*. As usual, I run this -

shell>mount -t ufs /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

I get an error wrong file type, but I remember I installed it with ufs2 which is default file system that used by FreeBSD. After messing with the man page. I figured as such -

shell>mount -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

Now I just enabled the ssh server, and everything can be transfer over network either using scp or just netcat will do.

Enjoy ;]

No comments: